Dedicated to Cossack Yermak Timofeyevich
What’s that? It’s the Cossack Yermak Timofeyevich scuplture called simply “The Conquest of Siberia.” It appeared inside Novosibirsk Airport (Tolmachevo) this year after the total building reconstruction.
By the way, a decade ago and even a couple of years ago, Tolmachevo Airport looked very old and was a bright example of the Soviet architecture. Nowadays, it’s pretty mordern and serves as the hub for Siberia Airlines (S7). Today’s airport interior can be seen even in these pics taken by a friend of mine, Halan (blog), last weekend.
Why is this sculpture so special?
Do not consider this monument as something special, sublime and lofty, but apparently it is the first wonder for people, who arrives in Novosibirsk.
You can remember it for a few reasons:
1. Cossack Yermak depicted in that art piece is the man, who began the so-called Russian conquest of Siberia in July 1580. More historical facts might be, certainly, found in Wiki’s Russian conquest of Siberia.
2. This is Russia’s biggest sculpture created for private funds, precisely the project idea is Roman Trotsenko, the airport majority interest holder. The sculpture creator was Yunus Safardiyar.
3. Some representatives of Siberian nations dislike it, as the mask of a Turkic man is installed above the angry wolf.
- Mammoth museum in an ice cave in Khatanga, Russia. The biggest collection of mammoth remains in the permafrost
- Fascinating aerial photos of Novosibirsk Oblast, Siberia / Russia
- Kodar Mountain Range in Zabaykalsky (Transbaikalia) Krai, Russia
- Lake Lama near Norilsk in Krasnoyarsk Krai, Russia
- The Amur River & Lakes in Khabarovsk Krai, Russia
- The Chukchi people of the Chukchi Sea, the nation of reindeer herders and whale hunters
- Horse riding trekking in the Altai Mountains, Russia’s Siberia. Tyungur – the Akkem River – Lake Akkem [facts + pictures]
- Active volcanoes of Kamchatka, Russia. Shiveluch, Klyuchevskaya Sopka, Bezymianny, Tolbachik
- Norilsk, the Siberian city of ghost workers
- Hot springs in the Siberian winter in Tyumen, Russia.
- Wildlife of Kronotsky Nature Reserve in Kamchatka, Russia. Brown bears, foxes…
- Olkhon Island in Lake Baikal, Siberia/Russia [facts + autumn pictures]
Where is Siberia?“Officially, there is no such place as Siberia. No political or territorial entity has Siberia as its name. In atlases, the word 'Siberia' hovers across the northern third of Asia unconnected to any place in particular, as if designating a zone or a condition…" - Ian Frazier.
Located in Russia between the Ural Mountains and the Pacific Ocean.
Your Siberian Wonders!
Greetings! If you have been to Siberia, please, let us know. Share your travel experience, recommendations, feedbacks, photos. We believe it's a good way to help international visitors learn more about this amazing country!
Best books about Siberia
TagsAkkem River Altai Mountains autumn Barnaul Chukotka cold weather dog sledding harness driving holidays horse riding trekking horses horse trek hot springs Irkutsk Khants Khuzhir Klyuchevskaya Sopka Krasnoyarsk Lake Baikal Lena River live webcams news New Year New Year tree Nikita Bencharov Norilsk Novosibirsk Novosibirsk Airport Olkhon Island reindeer Russian troika stalagmite summer Taimyr Peninsula travel tree trekking Tyumen Tyungur volcano winter world record Yakut laika Yakutsk Yenisey River